Who we are
The Wellington Women’s Institute (WI) was formed in January 2012, to create a group for fun, friendship and education. We are a part of the National Federation of Women’s Institutes (NFWI).
As a ‘data controller’ the Wellington Women’s Institute (WI) must give to its members certain information, commonly called a ‘privacy notice’, about the sort of data it holds, the purpose for which it is used and individual’s rights in relation to their data.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We need to collect and use personal information about our members and prospective members, who make direct contact with us. This privacy notice sets out how we collect, use and protect your personal information and your rights in relation to your information.
Personal information is information, or a combination of pieces of information, that could reasonably allow you to be identified.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE USE
We will hold personal information which will have been collected from you directly.
Where do we collect data from?
We may hold information relating to you from a number of sources, and will collect personal information about you:
DIRECT FROM YOU:
- Personal information that you submit through our website by signing up to a newsletter, contacting us through the “Contact Us” form, signing up for our Meetup group, Facebook Page or Facebook Group, or any personal data that you share with us when you communicate with us by email, phone or post.
- When you join the Wellington WI, you complete a membership form which includes information about you, e.g. name, address, contact details, and if you would like to sign up to gift aid. Our club Membership Communication System (MCS) Rep will also enter your membership data into the NFWI MCS database.
- Bank details where you have provided them to our Treasurer for repayment of monies owing.
- What information may we collect?
We will collect, store and otherwise process the following information as part of your WI membership:
- Your name, email, contact phone number and postal address
In addition, we may collect, store and otherwise process the following kinds of personal information:
- Social media and Meetup group identities if you opt to provide them
- Information about our services which you use, such as attendance at club nights, events and meetings and the status of your WI membership; and
- Your communication preferences;
- Your photography preferences (whether you consent to have your photograph taken/shared);
- Bank account details, if you choose to, for the purposes of repaying money owing from the club;
- Any other personal information you choose to share with us.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
We collect your contact information in our sign up form. This is not shared with any third parties.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Google Analytics cookies which help us understand how visitors arrive at and browse our products and website to identify areas for improvement, such as navigation and user experience. With Google Analytics, in accordance with best practice, have set up anonymized IP addresses so your IP cannot be identified.
Who we share your data with
The data we collect via our website is for our use. We will not sell this information. We do engage in partnerships with other trusted companies, but we would only share your information with them with your prior consent. A reason we might need to share your information with a third-party partner might be to process an order, in which case a third party might need to process data on our behalf.
We reserve the right to disclose your personal information to third parties:
- when you provide your personal information in our contact form, the form may be forwarded to the appropriate club contact, such as the club president or secretary, or club member, in order to accommodate your request;
- for auditing purposes e.g. finance audits;
- for claiming giftaid, when we need to send data to the Charities Commission and HMRC;
- if we are under any legal or regulatory obligation to do so; and
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
We also share information with the National Federation of Women’s Institutes (NFWI), through the MCS.
If you choose to share your bank account details with us these are stored at our bank, Lloyds, and are not held by any individual after set-up has been completed.
Members can choose to share personal information with each other, including contact info and bank details (for the purposes of paying for events members are arranging), and there is no obligation to do so. Members are responsible for the management and privacy of this data, not the Wellington WI.
Summary of Third Party Providers Information:
- Mailchimp– your email address and name are shared – you can opt out at any time
- MeetUp Private Members Only Groupfor event management and member connection – your email address and name are shared within the group – you can opt out or amend your data at any time. We also request a contact telephone number, so members can contact each other, e.g. in the event of a trip being cancelled/rearranged. It is your choice to provide this data and you can amend/delete it at any time. Contact telephone numbers and the answers to the sign-up questions around your photography choices are visible to all members, to enable appropriate sharing of photos.
- Facebook– members can choose to join the online facebook groups and pages, and opt to leave at any time
- Occasionally we run surveys through SurveyMonkey. Members are invited to take part and are under no obligation to do so. If you do take part information such as responses to questions, name and email are stored with SurveyMonkey.
- OneDrive (Microsoft) – https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement
- DropBox – https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/privacy
- Icloud (Apple) – https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/privacy/en-ww/
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
The Wellington WI may use your personal information:
- to provide you with services, products or information (such as club information) that you have requested;
- to provide access to “member-only” services such as our club Meetup group and member only Facebook groups;
- to provide updates about our work, services, activities, publications or products (where necessary, and only where you have provided your consent to receive such information such as explicitly subscribing to a specific newsletter);
- to invite you to WI events we feel that you might be interested in;
- to process your membership subscriptions;
- to process your event payments;
- to repay money to you;
- to answer your questions/ requests and communicate with you in general;
- to further our charitable aim in general, including for fundraising activities and asking for volunteer support;
- to analyse and improve our work, services, activities, products or information (including our website) or for our internal records;
- to audit and/ or administer our accounts;
- to administer legal obligations such as claiming gift aid;
- to include your contribution in Wellington WI publications, where you provide consent for us to do so;
- to satisfy legal obligations which are binding on us, for example in relation to law enforcement requests;
- to provide photographs and storylines for local, national and WI press, where you consent to us doing so;
- for the prevention of fraud or misuse of service; and
- for the establishment, defence of enforcement of legal claims.
Unless still required in connection with the purpose for which it was collected and/or processed, we will generally remove your personal information from our records when you leave the club. For instance, if you cancel your WI membership, we will usually delete your personal data from our records within six months of the club renewal date of January (to allow time for you to renew).
Data that we are required to keep by law, e.g. accounts and gift aid, we will keep in accordance with the law.
Data held on social media, Meetup group and Mailchimp can be amended or deleted by you at any time. You can unsubscribe from mailchimp newsletters and emails and have full control over how communications are sent to you through Meetup.
If you cancel your membership we will remove you from the members Facebook groups, private members Meetup and members Mailchimp email lists within six months of the club renewal date of January.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your contact information
How we protect your data
We have put security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Only authorised personnel are allowed physical and/or digital access to our servers and data.